Thursday, October 1, 2009

Obama Wants to Add More Time In School: Quantity vs. Quality?

I read the an article, "More School? Obama could trim summer break..." from msnbc.com.  This article is about how Obama feels like many people, that we need to spend more time in school.  The article states,"Obama says American kids spend too little time in school, putting them at a disadvantage with other students around the globe." I think this is partially true.  I agree that time is an essentialy ingredient to learning, however, high standards and effective strategies are needed to make that time valuble.  I think that we need to improve our standards, so that students can focus on acomplishing more.  We do need to learn more because we are competing for jobs around the globe, but I think the solution is to take the time we do have and make it more meaningful.  By improving standards you set a higher goal for the kid to reach. To help us reach that goal we need to improve stategies.  When we start using these different strategies, then we can reach and exceed our standards.   I think its not the amount of time you spend doing something it is the quality of effort and work you do during that time.  I think we spend enough time in school.  We spend six hours a day at school and we have homework after that too.  I think adding more time in school will take away from other things that are valuable.  The United States has a large obesity problem, so it makes you wonder if we spend more time in school not being active will those numbers go even higher? Obama has good intention when he talks about extending time in school, but I think he needs to become more open to other strategies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment